Volunteering in your local community can uplift your own spirit. Take a look at just some of the opportunities in the local area!
- Hands on Hartford – Many different opportunities for volunteering both as an individual and in groups – http://www.handsonhartford.org/become-a-volunteer/find-an-opportunity/
- Migrant Farm Worker Clinic – UConn and the Connecticut Area Health Education Centers (CT AHEC) Program conduct medical and dental screenings on site at farm worker barracks free of charge from June-Oct. https://health.uconn.edu/connecticut-area-health-education-center-network/migrant-farm-worker-clinics/
- Habitat for Humanity of Hartford – https://www.habitat.org/us-ct/hartford/hartford-area-habitat-humanity
- Hartford Young Professionals & Entrepreneurs (HYPE) – A list of recurring volunteer opportunities in the area – https://www.hypehartford.com/get-involved/community-involvement-opportunities
- Urban Alliance – This website has a bunch of opportunities that are longer commitments https://www.urbanalliance.com/volunteer/
- Westmoor Park – Here this is information on how to get involved in West Hartford for the national public service campaign, “Plant-a-Row for the hungry” – http://westmoorpark.org/page/plant-a-row
- Relay for Life West Hartford – https://secure.acsevents.org/site/STR?pg=entry&fr_id=96089
- United Way:Hartford’s Harvest – If you like to garden, here’s how to get involved with KNOX –https://volunteer.unitedwayinc.org/need/detail/?need_id=512778
- American Red Cross – Information on volunteering opportunities and how to donate blood –https://www.redcrossblood.org
- West Hartford Symphony Orchestra – This website has volunteering jobs such as fundraising assistance, distributing posters and marketing, helping at concerts, working at special events, and marketing. There is an email at the bottom of the page linked if interested in learning more – https://whso.org/support/volunteer
- West Hartford Community Theater – Volunteers may be needed for costumes, props, ushers, set construction/design etc. There is an email to contact on this page – http://westhartfordtheater.org/category/volunteer/
- West Hartford Homework Center Tutor– The website explains how to get involved and the application is right on the page – https://www.westhartfordct.gov/gov/volunteer/hct.asp
- West Hartford Libraries – This lists opportunities such as Adopt-a-Shelf Assistant, library program hosts, used book cart sales, local history projects, homebound delivery services, computer coaching, open learning lab assistants, practice English conversation group leaders. There is a form at the bottom of the website to get started –http://www.westhartfordlibrary.org/get_involved/volunteer.asp
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation CT Chapter – There are ways to get involved with this organization including donating, event participation, and volunteer opportunities – https://www.cff.org/Chapters/Connecticut/Get-Involved/
- Special Olympics Connecticut – Travel to this website’s “get involved” tab to see all the ways to get involved – https://www.soct.org
- MADD – Many opportunities available at – https://www.madd.org/volunteer/
City Seed has several different opportunities related to their farmer’s market. Click herefor more details
Help make historical documents and biodiversity data more accessible by becoming a Smithsonian Digital Volunteer (click here)
Help a blind or low-vision person with visual assistance thorugh a live video call through the app Be My Eyes (click here)
Tutor or Mentor for ConnectiKids Inc [Hartford] [click here].
Virtual tutoring for grades 1-8 organized by the Wilson Branch Library. [click here].
If you are interested in history, consider being a volunteer tour guide of Hartford and the state history [Hartford] put on by League of Women Voters of CT Education Fund. [click here].
Help with feeding and horse chores with US Horse Welfare and Rescue Org [Avon]. [click here]